A valid U.S. green card, also called an immigrant visa, allows an alien to become a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. and to work legally, travel abroad and return, bring in a spouse and children, and become eligible for citizenship. Review the university's Permanent Residence Policy.
The employee's OU department must initiate the sponsorship process by contacting HR International Faculty and Staff Services. To comply with the university's Permanent Resident policy, departments must:
- Contact HR International Faculty and Staff Services before making any verbal or written agreement with a prospective employee regarding permanent residence sponsorship.
- Discuss the worker's expectations regarding permanent residence with the foreign national.
Under no circumstances can the hiring department make any guarantee of sponsorship for permanent residence to a foreign worker. Because of the complexity of employment-based sponsorship, it is impossible for any employer to guarantee that its efforts will be successful. Therefore, the hiring department can only commit to the endeavor of sponsoring a foreign worker for permanent residence.
OU departments are responsible for the fee payment described below:
- Petition for Immigrant Worker on USCIS Form I-140
Employer-sponsored EB-1(2) and EB-2 categories (not filing NIW): Base Filing Fee: $700
- USCIS Premium Processing Service: USCIS provides expedited processing for $1,440 in addition to the above fees. University guidelines require departments to provide justification for this cost. Review the University Visa Fee Policy for more information.
- HR International Faculty and Staff Services (IFSS) Office Fees: IFSS offers immigration services provided by an in-house immigration attorney and administrative staff. These services are currently provided at no charge to the department or participant. OU remains one of the few schools offering these services at no charge. Requests that require expedited attention or do not provide minimum notice to our office may eventually force our office to charge fees.